Friday, January 4, 2013

Overdone: MAC's new ad

















Jezebel.com highlights MAC's new ad, "Strength." The ad depicts a body-building fitness model striking a pose. Writers on Jezebel.com praise it as a breakthough for women's image, calling it "the embodiment of strength...striking...incredibly beautiful."
While I can absolutely appreciate the definition of muscle that this model posesses, this type of image does not influence me to buy MAC Cosmetics. Yes, women are strong, yes women have strength, but I believe this type of image belongs on a fitness catalog, rather than a cosmetics ad. The look of the body-builder is a bit overbearing. Muscles can be a positive attribute to a woman's figure, absolutely, but a more feminine look would provide a better cosmetic appeal. Perhaps MAC can advertise to a more active audience by placing this ad in a fitness magazine.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I hadn't seen that ad before! It does make you look twice... :-)

    Jo x amomentwithjo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo,
      I took a double take before realizing it was MAC! It's definitely a new approach for cosmetics, what do you think?

      ~redhaute

      Delete
  2. agreedd, the muscles definitely take too much of the attention . I honestly didn't even look at the make up on the model when I saw the ad, just her crazy toned arms. As much as I would like to be strong and toned, just don't think this ad idea was that great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you too! Generally, you would expect an ad to sell a product. This ad sells the model's muscles, and it lacks focus on MAC Cosmetics.

      ~redhaute

      Delete